Friday, July 07, 2006

Weight just a god damn minute!?

Who among us never had a weight problem?!
I'm not talking about this guy. I'm talking about being comfortable in our own body. When I was younger, the wind could blow me away. I was a nail with wings. A cute nail none the less. At the age of 9 every thing changed. In a matter of months I was dressing in the men's department at Sears. I remember wanting to go on the left side when we came in. All the cartoon T-shirts were there. But no. We had to go right, the men's department was there. I graduated from high school, at 16, I was 244 lbs. I'm 5'8 3/4". My pants were 38". At 18 when my mom divorced my dad, I dropped to 180 lbs. Life came back to normal in the house. He was such negative energy. People tell me I was eating my emotions. I wasn't. Maybe I wasn't eating healthy, but I was not over eating. After that, I yoyoed from 180 to 200. My secret was weighing heavy on me. When I came out to one and all, I dropped to 159. I knew that the next 10 lbs was telling my father I was gay. You see, my mom was dead by then. He was the last person I still considered my family, my parent. When I told him, I did go down. I was at 148. My waist size was 28 - 29 depending on the model. My BF at the time hated me for it. lol I could buy shirts and Ts at Gap for kids. Then our way of living and I guess the fact that to me, we were it. Living happily ever after. I started putting on some weight. Drinking like we were, 2 or 3 beers a day and about 10 plus some shooters when we were going out. Once or twice a week. Then I started feeling things were going wrong. I gained more weight. When I left him, I was 160 lbs. Then last December, I asked my doctor for some patches to quit smoking. I gained about 15 lbs. Now with my situation and the beer I told you I had started drinking because I don't feel like myself anymore, I weighted myself this morning, 190 lbs. Well I've had it. I'm me, and will find me again. Since I have to cut down on drinking, I'll also change my eating habits. I don't mind love handles, but when 6 people can gather around me, to hold themselves on the bus because there are no more seats, that is where I draw the line. So it is that this Monday, I'll start my 8 minutes in the morning program again. 2 years ago with this program, I lost 7 lbs in the first week. I know! I know! 7 lbs in 1 week is a lot. But you really are watching your portions, and eating really healthy in order to break down your systems habit. And on top of that, it has to eat away at the fat stored inside. Because you are almost not eating any fat. Then, I lost 2 lbs per week for the next 4 weeks. Then summer turned the corner, happy hours on terraces and beer started again. I kept the weight off almost all summer. But started putting it back in the winter. So this Monday I'll start again and this time will do my best to keep it up. I'll be joining Kell in his fight to lose weight. Like him, I'll post my results and let you know how it's going. I will be honest and say exactly what's going on. Why would I lie, I'm only lying to myself. And besides the roommate will be there to check me, he also reads my blog every day. So if you would like to do this with me, you are welcome. I'll post the info the day before. What to eat, what to do regarding exercises. Keep me posted. Lets have fun!? Still J!? Soon smaller j!? PS: I've also shaved my beard. That way I'll see the real me every day.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy you've finally shaved the beard...

7/07/2006 02:34:00 p.m.  
Blogger Spider said...

Give me 8 minutes in the morning with the guy that wrote that book... and I will probably want 8 more!

7/07/2006 02:47:00 p.m.  
Blogger Tony said...

Joel... Unlike you, I am trying to gain weight, muscle weight that is. I've gone from 174 to 195 since last September but I need tgo watch things closely, especially since my weightraining has gone by trhe wayside for the last six weeks due to school.

Have a good weekend!

7/07/2006 03:32:00 p.m.  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Drop the weight but oh don't drop the beard! you look darn good with it.
Good luck-keep us posted so we can root you onward and downward.

7/07/2006 05:59:00 p.m.  
Blogger Pete said...

You can do it if you put your mind to it. I lost 60 pounds so far. I am still working on the rest. Good luck, I am looking forward to the results.

7/07/2006 06:03:00 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just ran across this post after i made my post today...check it out...throw yourself to the world...ughhh battery dying...will catch up soon...a work out buddy from a distance...yippie

7/07/2006 06:44:00 p.m.  
Blogger jetboy747 said...

Oh, I get it. I was...WTF? 8 minutes? Hmmmm. This sounds interesting.

I have to post my progress? A challenge. Interesting. Well, I'll tell you thing, my bf and Dr, will be all for it.

Yes...I'm serious.

7/07/2006 07:13:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be there for you all the way buddy. I know you'll achieve your goal ! ;-)

7/07/2006 08:15:00 p.m.  
Blogger rodger said...

When I quit smoking in October, I gained 15 pounds. Then I started smoking again. When I quit again in April, I went on a diet too. I figured it would give me something else to concentrate on instead of smoking. It worked and I've lost 12 pounds and have no interest in cigarettes anymore.

Best of luck, I'll be rooting for you!!

7/07/2006 09:27:00 p.m.  
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Wow... you have had big fluctuations. I am 5'7", but my weight fluctuates between 162#'s-172#'s. It has been that way for the last 12 years. I do workout and eat Taco Bell. If I stopped drinking so much beer over the weekend, then I could probably lose 6 pounds at least. Good luck with your goals!

7/08/2006 07:49:00 a.m.  
Blogger Guys' Guy said...

I'm lost...what is the 8 minute diet. I'm curious. I'm not happy with how much weight I have put on lately and it seems no matter how hard I hit the gym, there is only one part of me that doesn't tone or go away...my tummy. I know I should eat better too but I am curious to know what this 8 min thing is.

7/08/2006 10:22:00 a.m.  
Blogger S said...

Is there anything you can do well in only 8 minutes? Seriously.

It takes me almost 8 minutes to find the washroom after getting up from a stupor every morning.

7/08/2006 10:45:00 a.m.  
Blogger DEREK said...

I may be joining you on those goals, I've got to start doing my exercises every day that's for sure or my back will never get back to normal.

7/09/2006 10:50:00 a.m.  
Blogger Gray said...

Thanks for the physical challenge! I truly do not know my current weight! I haven't ever owned a scale, believe it or not. But, I do know that the last time I was weighed at the doctor's office revealed that the reflection in my mirror wasn't lying: 238 lbs. I'll find a set of scales tomorrow.

I might just join you on this "8 minutes in the morning" diet. Hell, if Jorge Cruise (the author) cums, er... comes with it I'd even have a bigger incentive!

7/09/2006 09:28:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home