Thursday, July 27, 2006

Stop the world!? Men overboard!?

Who is going to wake up and hit the breaks?! I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record. But this makes me sick. It's everywhere and people look at them, not "it" as the problem. How can we yell loud enough? Make enough noise? We have to stop this madness of always wanting to get ahead. Too many people are being stepped on, forgotten, left behind, lost. Lets stop raising prices on everything. Lets stop making budget cuts. Lets stop making a better version of everything every six months. Lets stop wasting. Lets just stop! The world is spinning out of control. The governments keep pushing. The companies keep pushing. It's starting to feel like we're building pyramids. So what do we, the little people do? We want to push too. We want to push back. But we don't seem to get that the people that answer the phone for those companies, that we want to push, are just little people too. So we're pushing each other. What can be done?! 1)Lets start with governments that always want the population to grow. "We need next generations to support the older generations." Why don't we start by making sure the generations that are here can live comfortably? Lets make sure everybody has a roof over their heads. And I'm not talking about a shelter. Lets make sure everybody eats. Lets make sure everybody gets the medical treatments they need. Lets make sure everybody gets an education. When you build something, you need to take care of it. Maintenance needs to be done. What happens when you don't take care of your car? It deteriorates, you need to change it. Well the world is deteriorating, can we change it? NO!? I thought we were building this world!? 2) Companies ask for more but give less. One man now will be doing the work of 10. And he gets a bad review at the end of the year. Why? He can't keep up. He has to do overtime. He can't meet his quotas. No raise means more money for the company. I want to cry every time I hear a company made billions in profits!? STOP CUTTING DOWN!? (Here I'm going to have some of you mad at me. I don't care!?) 3) Our beloved stars. I don't understand how we can pay 135$ to 500$ to go see an old bat mope the floor with her sweat. If we say no, there won't be a next Madge expecting us to give her two days or a week of our hard earn money to see her screech and claw the stage. This is only entertainment people!? 4)We the people need to stop, take one god damn good look at ourselves in the mirror. It ain't pretty!?

This is starting to look better and better!?

Lets stop this single minded thinking!? Lets help this planet of ours regain control of itself!? Lets help each other!? Lets have fun!? J

16 Comments:

Blogger Gray said...

I am very much in agreement with the general concept here!

"Lets stop making a better version of everything every six months" *especially* when the newer version is NOT as good as the previous version [are you listening Microsoft?]!!

"When you build something, you need to take care of it. Maintenance needs to be done." Like shelters, hospitals, roads, housing projects [are you listening, all levels of government??]!!!

I read Spider's blog article and that plus this post of yours are very much on the mark! I guess the antithesis would be "the more I give others money the less there is for me."

I believe in enjoying the "good life" (if and when I can). But, to do one thing and one thing right, I cut back on the luxuries. Can't our governments and our businesses do the same? The answer is simple: No.

They can't because the majority of the consumers and the voters (not necessarily the majority of the people) want "more", "newer", "bigger", "better"! One automobile commerical says something like, "We don't care which direction you move as long as its forward." Bull! Stand still for awhile and take care of the mess you've already given us!

Thanks for your rant! And thanks for allowing me to rant, too!

7/27/2006 05:10:00 a.m.  
Blogger Lemuel said...

We ARE out of control. I do not know how we will ever get back. We each can and should do what we can. There is no excuse if we do not. But I fear the masses are not really with us. So sad.

7/27/2006 06:41:00 a.m.  
Blogger john said...

Hi Joel!!!

7/27/2006 08:39:00 a.m.  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Boy and I thought i was in a grouchy mood yesterday! You're right of course. Only I think it's going to take a cataclysm to get things a-changing.

7/27/2006 09:43:00 a.m.  
Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

Great post...you are right on track!!!

7/27/2006 10:21:00 a.m.  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

A Thesis worthy of Martin Luther - may it do as much!

7/27/2006 10:38:00 a.m.  
Blogger RIC said...

Poignant way of thinking, Joel! Thanks a lot! There's a kind of line in Italian that says «consumate di più, viverete di meno». The logical link is just fabulous. Whenever I HAVE TO go shopping, I bear that in mind. Btw, I hate to go shopping...

7/27/2006 11:32:00 a.m.  
Blogger Minge said...

I'm so with you on everything here. A very refreshing read. We're too complaisant, though. Too many people say something should happen but actually do nothing.

7/27/2006 11:43:00 a.m.  
Blogger Jack said...

Hi guys!

Thanks for your support.

Minge, you are right. So how about we start right here?

What can WE do? How can we go about it?

Would we post the same thing all at once? Something to get our readers to notice.

I'm open to suggestions and ready.

Fire away guys!

7/27/2006 02:54:00 p.m.  
Blogger Jack said...

Ok I've just e-mailled a bunch of you.

I'm waiting for ideas.

I'll keep you posted.

7/27/2006 03:04:00 p.m.  
Blogger Snooze said...

Maybe if we just all cut back in our own ways. Or boycott Madonna. I'd be happy to participate in that.

7/27/2006 07:13:00 p.m.  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Joel, since receiving your email, I've been thinking about your challenge. I'm not sure what we as bloggers can do, but I'm open to suggestions. The idea of a "mass post" sounds intriguing as a kind of mass public awareness effort. Somewhat like a World AIDS Day, etc.

But I also think that the most effective efforts will really come if we talk it up among our friends, family, co-workers to try to bring them to awareness of th eproblem(s) and committment to individually do something about it.

You mentioned the sphere of entertainment. We can do as you suggested - just say no to purchasing highly priced tickets for concerts, for sports events, etc.

We can stop buying products that marketers entice us to buy - coming to grips with the differences between what we "want" and what we truly "need" - and then only spending our money on what we need.

We can donate a lareg part of what we save (via efforts above) to valid agencies that assist the poor, homeless, and hungry. Making sure that the money does not go to some of the large, big name "charities" whose main beneficiaries are their own CEOs.

we need to educate ourselves to the true effects of the policies of certain corporations - learn the truth - not some mass email chain letter that states half truths - and not swallowing corporate lies.

we need to become politically active in our communities and convince those who share our vision that they too must vote and speak their voice.

You mentioned software. We can do our best to promote open source operating systems and office suites that are developed by the community of users and shared freely - and resist upgrading with big corporate expensive software.

oh boy, Joel, I don't know if any of this is worth it but I offer the points up more as discussion starters than final answers.

7/27/2006 07:40:00 p.m.  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Joel, I went to the desert to hide. I opted out of the world system as much as I possibly could. Over the last 5 or 6 months, I have been thinking that perhaps I must rejoin the world, and rejoin the war against the beast. For myself, the struggle is defined by speaking out against greed and abuse of power, where ever it may be found.
Love that always seeks the good of the "other", and disinterested truth, are the only weapons we have that will achieve a lasting change.
Thanks for stirring me up.

7/27/2006 10:51:00 p.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

Damn, what an awesome post!!!

Oh, and yes I think I would like you; you're cute as well ;)

7/28/2006 12:46:00 a.m.  
Blogger Gray said...

I'll have to think about your question, Joel.

A mass blogger statement might be very, very valid and useful. But... WHAT?

Hmmm. You *do* like stirring the shit don't you? :)

7/28/2006 06:33:00 a.m.  
Blogger Pete said...

It's funny I have been reading Spiders post and yet don't feel educated enough to comment on Orlando or the person who he talks about but based on her believe she is a major C!

Anyway he did get me thinging about it alot. The question that should be asked is how do we measure a society? If you look at ours, the US, how do we treat the unfortunate? What do we do to help those who are not what society deems normal? This goes as much for the homeless as it does for our criminals.

The problem is and it has been said before is that Americans are selfish. I said it and not proud of it. I see it everyday with my co-workers, friends and strangers. EVERYDAY! What happened? Why are we like this?

I don't have the answer for that but I it doesn't stop me from trying to figure it out.

As always Joel, thanks for the post.

7/28/2006 10:43:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home