Saturday, July 22, 2006

These are the blogs of our lives!?

You have to read this book!?

I haven't been reading books for that long. When I was younger I had the usual, Who is... collection. Every month I'd get a book about elephants, lions, policemen... I also had comic books. I think we've all read Archie at one time or another. In school when we had to do a book report, I'd always get a book that a movie had been made of. I just didn't like to read. Then the movie Interview with a vampire was coming out. I got all four books. Nobody knew if the movie was going to be just about the first one or all of them. I read all four books in about 3 weeks. I finished the last one around 4 in the morning the night before. After that I got all the Anne Rice's books and read them all. Not as fast. Every time she had a new book I would go get it. After reading all her books, I needed more. Since then, I get about 2 books a month. I know people can read a book in one afternoon. Well from 0 to 2 a month I think it's pretty good. And cheaper. I started reading gay stories about six years ago. Every time I would find a book I loved, it was always a new author. So he only had one book out. I did find Armistead Maupin, Tales of the City, and the Buddies series from Ethan Mordden. I'm happy when I love the story and the characters and there is a series of five or six books. I live with these people longer. But they always end. Which is normal. After a while the author doesn't know what to do with them and they're getting older. I've always had a feeling of emptiness after finishing a book and knowing that I wont see these people that I've grown to love and care for. Well I've found a never ending story. Us! We sample blogs and blogroll are favorite ones. Some stay, some go. We decide to write out a character, but like in the soaps, if we want we can bring him back. But without being together we all meet in these virtual pages. It's as if we all know each other or know someone who knows another. And this story takes place everywhere in the world. What I like about this story is that we the reader can interact with the people of this story. We can even meet and become part of their story for a week or two. A few things I know is:

  • no one knows how things will turn out
  • we will never see "The End"
  • cheaters cannot go read the last page
  • we will live through the happily ever after with them and then maybe even the not so happily ever after!
  • we're all reading it at the same time, so no one can give away the ending

But one thing I'm sure of,

This book is the best one I've read so far!? So take a bow!? You deserve it!? Now get back to your desk!? These chapters wont write themselves you know!?

J

8 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Make sure to read this book by Ethan Mordden,"How long has this been going on?

It's the story of people before, during and after stonewall.

It's the best book I ever read.

J

7/22/2006 05:12:00 p.m.  
Blogger Spider said...

If you are looking for some good stuff to read, check out the library kink on my blog - have read everything there and am only posting the stuff that is good to read!

7/22/2006 11:40:00 p.m.  
Blogger Gray said...

I used to be such an avid reader (sigh)! Now, if I'm lucky, it's one book per month (mostly non-fiction).

I'll check Maupin and Mordden but, forgive me, don't count on any book reports. I've found that I only comment on only those books that have a shattering effect on me. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

7/23/2006 07:20:00 a.m.  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

L,I will look up Mordden, but you've turned me on to Rice. I usually wait ten or twenty years before I embrace an author. Kinky of me, I know.
a demain

7/23/2006 11:40:00 a.m.  
Blogger Snooze said...

I hadn't thought of blogging as a neverending book but that's a lovely analogy

7/23/2006 05:45:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mark in DE said...

Glad to hear that you've enjoyed Armistead Maupin. Like you, I felt like I knew his characters personally - like they were my friends. And like you, I felt a sense of emptiness upon finishing each book. Fortunately Maupin's "Tales" contains 6 books, and he's written to other books with totally different characters: "Maybe the Moon" and "Night Listener". I just finished "Night Listener" a few months ago, and then found out a movie was being made of it.

I'm enjoying reading more blogs than books these days and feel that we can also get to know the 'characters' in each others blogs with a little thought and detail. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

7/24/2006 10:19:00 p.m.  
Blogger Pete said...

Nice post. You are rather poetic.

7/25/2006 12:47:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can I pencil in a three day arc of my madness descending upon you like locusts and frogs on egypt?

...fun and hilarity ensue.

but I kid...

10/10/2006 07:06:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home