Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The end of summer!?

I'm going back to work tomorrow after eight days off. My first vacation this year. I know it might sound weird, but the six months of sick leave were just that, six months of sick leave. If you take all the days I felt good in that period and put then together, I was "ok" for about three weeks. Not much of a summer if you ask me. Today was spent in a reflective mode. In solitude. Not the bad kind. Today for the first time in a long time, I was alone with myself and it felt good, no worries, no depression. Just calm and quiet. For some reason I feel like something changed in me this week. Without feeling older, I feel more mature, wiser. I feel like I got answers to questions I had. I feel at ease, more at peace. Of course I had a list of things to do around the house. Did I follow that list? No. lol. Some of you will say the best vacations are the unplanned ones. Well this one was really not planned. What happened this week? I partied. I went out four times, leaving in the evening to comeback the next morning. I met a lot of people. I had fun. For the first time in a very long time, I felt free. Like I didn't have a care in the world. Of course I made sure I was ok, but as for the rest, I just didn't think about anything. I really felt like I was on vacation. Like I was not just off work, but off "me". Does that make sense? My head was not stressing twenty four seven. That's what I mean. I guess being sick for six months is a job in itself. I feel like I've let go of a few things. It feels great. I feel great. Am I still sick? Yes, but I feel much better. I guess I had to blow off some steam. I made a big hole in my savings, but it's ok. It'll comeback. Do I have anything to show for it? Yes I do. Me! And it was worth it. All of it. Have fun!? J

7 Comments:

Blogger abnitude said...

sounds like you needed this time to get your head together and that you accomplished that. being able to spend time alone and not be lonely is an art in itself. glad you are on the right path.

11/15/2006 10:37:00 p.m.  
Blogger Doug said...

Sounds wonderful, Joel. Not only did you have a great time on vacation, you found yourself in the process. Nice going!

*hugs*

11/15/2006 10:55:00 p.m.  
Blogger Anthony said...

Sounds like money well spent to me.

11/16/2006 02:21:00 a.m.  
Blogger Gray said...

It is wonderful that your vacation worked out so well for you!

Stay as happy as you can, young man!

11/16/2006 03:14:00 a.m.  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I need a job with sick leave. Glad you were able to enjoy your time off.

11/16/2006 05:43:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a good vacation. I am glad to hear that.

11/16/2006 09:11:00 a.m.  
Blogger john said...

I'm glad that when you took this time off, not only did you find yourself, but you also had a good time in the process.
I think when some people go trying to find themselves, they forget that one of the ways to do so is to relax and let go of "themself" in the first place. Looks like you were able to do that.
May God bless your journey to self!!

11/16/2006 10:28:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home